Call for candidates to undertake a PhD project within the framework of the project “LIFE ALNUS - Restoration, conservation and governance of the Alnus aluvial forests in the Mediterranean Region (LIFE16 NAT/ES/000768)” to carry it out on the Centre d’Estudis dels Rius Mediterranis – Universitat de Vic – Universitat Central de Catalunya (CERM, Center for the Study of Mediterranean Rivers – UVic-UCC University of Vic – Central University of Catalonia).
The Center for the Study of Mediterranean Rivers (CERM) is assigned to the University of Vic - Central University of Catalonia (UVic-UCC) and at the same time is the environmental area of the Ter River Museum of the Manlleu Municipality. The CERM carries out applied research in freshwaters, associated with the assessment of ecological status and biodiversity; landstewardship, conservation and ecological restoration of rivers and ponds; environmental education and community awareness; and takes care of the natural history collection of the Ter River Museum, originated by CERM research projects and from donations. The CERM is associated with other researchers from the UVic-UCC: it is part of the Biodiversitat, Ecologia, Tecnologia i Gestió Ambiental Research Group (SGR 1286, BETA, Biodiversity, Ecology, Technology and Environmental Management).
The CERM wants to incorporate a researcher in training to evaluate riparian vegetation, aquatic macroinvertebrates and fish populations in relation to several cases of hydrological (environmental flow regimes) and forestry (riparian structure and verneda types) management in rivers of Catalonia. This will also include his/her intervention in the monitoring of the actions carried out and in sessions of community involvement. Looking for a profile with naturalistic knowledge, freshwater and fieldwork ecology, with experience in landstewardship and / or conservation biology, education and environmental awareness, design and execution of experiments and experimental monitoring, data processing and writing reports, and willing to work as a team. The field work will be carried out mainly in river streches of the Osona, Ripollès, Vallès Occidental and Cerdanya regions. The work center will be located in the Ter River Museum, in Manlleu (Osona).
PhD Thesis project (provisional title): Riparian vegetation, aquatic macroinvertebrates and fish populations assessment in relation to several hydrological and forest management proposals in rivers of Catalonia (NE Iberian Peninsula) / Avaluació de la vegetació de ribera, macroinvertebrats aquàtics i poblacions de peixos en relació amb diverses propostes de gestió hidrològica i forestal en rius de Catalunya (NE Península Ibèrica).
- University graduate, with a master's degree or equivalent after 2010, in science studies (Biology, Environmental Sciences, Forest Engineer or similar).
- Level B2 in English
- Experience in:
- Field work in general and of freshwater ecology in particular, especially in relation to environmental flows, riparian vegetation, aquatic macroinvertebrates and fish.
- Education and / or environmental awareness.
- Landtewardship and / or conservation biology.
- Design of experiments, execution and experimental monitoring, treatment of results and elaboration of reports.
- GIS and statistical data processing.
- Be in possession of the driving license.
- Be enrolled in a UVic-UCC master's degree or doctorate in the case to be the selected candidate.
- Naturalistic knowledge and experience in field work and ecology of freshwaters, especially in relation to environmental flows, riparian vegetation, aquatic macroinvertebrates and fish.
- Experience in education and / or environmental awareness.
- Experience in landstewardship and / or conservation biology.
- Experience in the experimental design and execution, data processing and writing reports.
- Knowledge of GIS and statistical data processing.
- Oral and written skills in English.
- Communicative and writing skills.
- Capacities of communication, relation and teamwork.
- Organizational capacities. Skill and responsibility to work in tight deadlines.
- Average marks for degree programs and masters.
- National or international research stays.
- Participation in conferences and workshopss, and in European projects.
- Knowledge of other languages (especially French).
- Copy of the academic record (of degree and master's degree)
- Full curriculum vitae
- Letter of motivation
© Universitat de Vic - Universitat Central de Catalunya | Àrea de Gestió del Talent | 938 815 515